This is the perfect recipe for entertaining with friends to serve at the end of a lovely meal, you can leave this cooking and smelling delicious while you eat and take out 10 minutes before you are ready to serve. The leftovers (if any) would be delicious for a sweet breakfast with a hot coffee in the morning.
Plum, blackberry and bay friand bake by Yotam Ottolenghi
- 200 g Blackberries
- 4 Ripe Pulms, stones removed, cut into 1cm wide wedges (360g)
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 60 g Caster Sugar
- 3 Fresh Bay Leaves
- 1 tsp Ground Cinnamon
- 60 g Plain Flour
- 200 g Icing Sugar, sifted
- 120 g Ground Almonds
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 150 g Egg Whites (from 4-5 large eggs)
- 180 g Unsalted Butter melted and slightly cooled
- Place the blackberries and plums in a bowl with the vanilla extract, sugar, bay leaves and ½ teaspoon of cinnamon. Set aside for 30minutes. Don’t be tempted to leave them sitting around for longer than this, as the fruit will become too juicy.
- Preheat the oven to 190°C fan.
- Mix the flour, icing sugar, ground almonds, the remaining ½ teaspoon cinnamon and salt in a separate large bowl. Set aside.
- Lightly whisk the egg whites by hand for 30 seconds, so they just start to froth. Stir into the flour mixture, along with the melted butter, until combined.
- Tip the batter into a 20 x 30cm parchment-lined baking dish and top evenly with the fruit and juices. Bake for 40 minutes, coveringthe dish with foil for the final 10 minutes, until the batter is golden-brown and the fruit is bubbling. Set aside for 10 minutes before serving.